by Mona Dyer
‘Tis the season! One morning we wake up and there it is… Christmas Spirit! I cherish the sensation… and the way it creeps up on me. It starts as a flutter stirring in the back of my mind. Little by little, the tiny feeling grows until I have a heart filled with joy! All things are possible once the warm-fuzzies arrive! There are things to decorate … surprises to wrap … cookies to bake …and sweet anticipation over spending a little time with those I hold dear. Big celebrations or small … warm-fuzzies light my way!
Indoors & out … there’s beauty in the season! The big juniper at the corner of the yard is adorned with deep purple berries … the Winter King Hawthorn is loaded down with clusters of bright orange fruits … and the maiden grass sways softly in the breeze. Even the rabbit brush is decked out with tufts of fluffiness, downy & soft. Inside, we suggest you decorate your home with perfect accents from Bookcliff Gardens! Vivid Christmas cactus & poinsettias in colors you’ve only imagined … fresh, aromatic evergreen boughs & garland … and beautiful live wreaths to greet guests at your door. It’s yours for the asking at Bookcliff Gardens!
We’ve missed out on the wintery feel of snow so far this year … so I’ll be giving my beloved gardens a good drink of water in the next week or so. My trusty frog-eye sprinkler … hooked up on a slow running hose… is the perfect solution! It’s an early holiday gift for living things that give me such joy all year through. And in case Santa reads this… Soil Pep is a stocking stuffer! It serves double duty as mulch to help maintain soil moisture … and nourishes the soil itself.
Speaking of stocking stuffers, we’d love to help you fill those wish lists! From special décor in our Christmas Shop to beautiful houseplants and unique giftware, you’ll find gifts for nearly every taste & style. We carry local products including amazing handcrafted soaps from Canyon Spirit Soapworks of Fruita… fresh, raw honey from Loma … and Zesty Moose spices & dipping blends, mixed up in Palisade. And don’t forget our assortment of sachets & sprays, crafted with lavender grown right here in the Grand Valley. We love the quality of their products and as a local small business ourselves, are so glad to offer their goods in our store! If you need a few last minute surprises for the gardener in your life… we’re fully stocked with everything from fresh veggie & flower seed to heating mats, gloves, pruners & supplies! And by the way, Bookcliff Gardens Gift Certificates make awesome stocking stuffers. They’re always the right color & style! ‘Tis the season! Decorate your home with perfect accents and beautiful Christmas treasures from Bookcliff Gardens… where warm-fuzzies abide!
Join Bookcliff’s Garden Club for exclusive money savings deals every week! Just text the word Bookcliff to 46976. Stay in touch with Bookcliff Gardens on Facebook, and online at www.bookcliffgardens.com
Week of November 25th – December 1st:
- Rake up and remove leaf debris from the lawn.
- Check moisture levels around your trees and shrubs. It’s been dry, so a good soaking is recommended. Water once a month as needed… your yard will thank you!
- Pots containing Hyacinths, Tulips and Narcissi have pre-cooled for forcing. Bring them indoors about a month before you want them to flower.
- Mulch perennials after the ground is frozen. While you’re at it, give your beds a drink of water to hold the plants over through winter.
- Shop at Bookcliff Garden’s for one of a kind gifts and unique ornaments! You’ll always find gardening supplies here … and lots of cool stuff for your home!
Week of December 2nd – December 8th:
- Mulch roses after the ground freezes by piling 12″ of course organic material like chopped leaves, straw or cedar mulch on plants. The key is protecting the graft from dry winter cold.
- Monitor houseplants for insect problems. If you’re not sure what your plant’s problem is, bring samples to Bookcliff so we can help identify what’s going on.
- Check your gift list. Bookcliff Gardens Gift Certificates are the perfect color and always fit!
Week of December 9th – December 15th:
- A bit of wishful thinking here … Heavy snow build-up can break limbs! Remove snow as needed by shaking branches or knocking it off with a broom.
- Shop at Bookcliff Gardens for unique gifts, decorations & ornaments that’ll be treasured!
- Decorate with fresh evergreen boughs, garlands and wreaths from Bookcliff Gardens! We’ll even customize them to suit your home’s décor.
Week of December 16th – December 22nd:
- Time is short! Beautiful locally grown Poinsettias & Christmas Cactus are here … perfect for a splash of Holiday color!
- For the Gardeners on your shopping list, choose gifts & supplies like gloves, soils & fresh seed that you can’t find anywhere else!
- Bookcliff Gardens Gift Certificates … always the right style & size!
- Keep potted Christmas trees in the house no longer than 3 or 4 days. Keeping them inside where it’s too warm puts your tree at risk for breaking dormancy.
Week of December 23rd – December 29th:
- Finish your last minute Christmas shopping at Bookcliff Gardens! You’ll find seasonal items, unique ornaments, beautiful flowering Poinsettias & Christmas cactus and so much more!
- Bookcliff Gardens Gift Certificates … the perfect stocking stuffer!
Merry Christmas! Wishing you and your family every joy this season!
- Plant your potted Christmas tree quickly. Keep it watered this winter to avoid winter drought.
- Bookcliff Gardens is closed for a few weeks, beginning Christmas Eve. We’ll be open again soon, so stop in to see us!
Bookcliff Gardens wishes you Happiness & Prosperity in 2012!